Wednesday, June 25, 2008

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE BATHROOM

There are many factors that make an office more enjoyable to work at. Having your favorite snacks in the vending machine. Unlimited amounts of soda to drink. Having a friendly and knowledgeable receptionist. But one thing that I think is very important is the location and placement of the bathrooms. I don't know who designed my office building, but they must have not put much thought into bathroom placement. Every time I what to go to the bathroom, I must set out on a long and arduous journey that takes me into parts unknown. The men's bathroom is 10 feet from my desk. To go to the woman's I must get up, walk across the floor to the reception area, exit the big, heavy glass doors and walk through the elevator area (which has a disco ball by the way). Then I must scan my ID card to open another big, heavy glass door, pass the stairs and the go through 2 more doors to get into the bathroom. I wouldn't mind it being far away if I didn't have to do so much work to get there. The doors are really heavy, and I have to bring my ID card so I don't get locked out. I also am sometimes forced to make small talk if there is someone waiting for the elevator. Then there is the seemingly growing tension between the receptionist and the rest of the employees, or I get sucked into some story she has about her family or kids, which I could not care less about. But that is another story for another day.

No comments: